The Ba`al Shem Tov said:
“When I weld my spirit to Elohim,
I let my mouth say what it will,
for then all my words are bound
to their root in Heaven”

Tongues and Interpretation of Tongues

By

James Scott Trimm

Man was created in the image of Elohim. One of the ways that man was created in the image of Elohim was in being “male and female” (Gen. 1:26-27). But there is also another way in which man was created in the image of Elohim.

In Gen. 9:6 we are told that killing a man is a sin because man is “in the image of Elohim”. The preceding verses (9:2-5) tell us that man may kill and eat animals. Since many animals are “male and female” there must be more to man being “in the image of Elohim” than his being “male and female”. What is it that distinguishes man from animals?

The element about man that makes man “in the image of Elohim” while animals are not “in the image of Elohim” is the gift of speech.

The first two verses of Book of Jasher read:

1:1 And Elohim said, let us make man in Our image, after Our likeness,
and Elohim created man in his own image.
1:2 And YHWH Elohim formed man from the ground,
and he blew into his nostrils the breath of life,
and man became a living soul, endowed with speech.
(Jasher 1:1-2)

Note that Jasher 1:1 parallels Gen. 1:26-27 and Jasher 2:7 parallels Gen. 2:7 but adds the phrase "endowed with speech".

Now Targum Jonathan to Genesis 1:26 has "And the Word of YHWH said, let us make man in Our image." And Targum Onkelos to Gen. 2:7 adds a phrase at the end "and man became a spirit with speech".

Thus it would appear that man's gift of speech is the difference between man and animals so that man is "in the image of Elohim" while animals are not. It should also be noted that man was GIFTED with speech, Adam did not have to learn speech.

Isaiah prophesied about the manifestation of tongues:

Paul quoted directly from this scripture while teaching the assembly at Corinth about the gift of tongues. (1 Cor 14:21-22).

The gift of the manifestation of tongues is well known in the Rabbinic literature. The Talmud and midrashim both speak of this gift.

The “tongues of fire” event of Acts chapter two was a repetition of an event that took place at the first Shavuot (Shavuot is the aniversary of the giving of the Torah at Mt. Sinai). According to the Midrashim when the Torah was given at Mount Sinai the Torah message was divided up into the seventy languages of the Gentiles:

"Elohim's voice, as it was uttered, split into seventy voices,
into seventy tongues [leshonot], so that all the nations should understand."
(Midrash from Exodus Rabbah 5:9)

The Midrash also describes this event in even more detail:

In the occasion of Matan Torah [the giving of the Torah], the Bnai Yisrael [children of Israel] not only heard Hashem's Voice but actually saw the sound waves as they emerged from Hashem's mouth. They visualized them as a fiery substance. Each commandment that left Hashem's mouth traveled around the entire Camp and then to each Jew individually, asking him, "Do you accept upon yourself this Commandment with all the halochot [Jewish law] pertaining to it?"
Every Jew answered "Yes" after each commandment. Finally, the fiery substance which they saw engraved itself on the luchot [tablets].
(The Midrash Says; Rabbi Moshe Weissman. Benei Yakov Publications (1980) p. 182)

Thus the gift of the Ruach HaKodesh and the manifestation of tongues in Acts chapter 2 was a repetition of the gift of Torah and the manifestation of tongues that took place then.

Moreover the Talmud tells us that Yosef (Joseph) the patriarch was also given the gift of “kinds of tongues”:

Rabbi Hiyya ben Abba said in the name of Rabbi Johanan: "At the moment when Pharaoh said to Joseph, And without thee shall no man lift up his hand, Pharaoh's astrologers exclaimed: 'Wilt thou set in power over us a slave whom his master bought for twenty pieces of silver!' He replied to them, 'discern in him royal characteristics.' They said to him, 'in that case he must be acquainted with the seventy languages.' Angel Gabriel came and taught [Joseph] the seventy languages, but he could not learn them. Thereupon [Gabriel] added to his name a letter from the Name of the Holy One, blessed be He, and he knew [the languages]..."
(b.Sotah 36b)

The same story appears in the Book of Jasher:

And the angel roused him from his sleep, and Joseph rose up and stood upon his legs, and behold the angel of the Lord was standing opposite to him; and the angel of the Lord spoke with Joseph, and he taught him all the languages of man in that night, and he called his name Jehoseph.
(Jasher 49:14)

The name Yosef is sometines spelled in the Tanak Yahusef. According to the Talmud the extra letter “H” (hey) from the name of YHWH was added to his name thus giving him the knowledge of the seventy languages which he had been unable to learn. It is significant that in Jewish tradition the first HEY in the name of YHWH represents the Ruach HaKodesh. Thus Yosef received the Ruach HaKodesh and the gift of tongues.

TZERUF: Permutations of Letters

Each of the twenty-two Hebrew letters represents one of twenty-two paths which connect the Sefirot of the Tree of Life. Each of these twenty-two letters represents a relationship between two of the Sefirot and a combination of two of the Sefirot. These twenty-two letters are part of the image of Elohim and they took part in the creation. Messiah said that he is the ALEF and the TAV. The ALEF and the TAV are the first and last letters of the Hebrew Alphabet and are intended as an abbreviation to indicate that Messiah the incarnate "Word" embodied the twenty-two letters. When Elohim created the heavens and the earth he did so through words. Elohim "said" things and they were so. Elohim created the universe
by his Word.

Each Hebrew word is more than a word, it is a matrix of dynamic relationships within the Godhead. Hebrew letters are also the building blocks of creation. In the upper worlds all things exist in their prime-material state as the strings of Hebrew letters and words which were the building blocks of creation. As we read in the Sefer Yetzirah:

Twenty-two Foundation letters: He engraved them,
He carved them, He permuted (TZIRUF) them,
He weighed them, He transformed them,
And with them, He depicted all that was formed
and all that would be formed.
(Sefer Yetzirah 2:2)

This brings us to what is called in Rabbinic Judaism "Khokhmat HaTziruf" (Wisdom of Permutation) or simply "Tziruf" (permutation). This practice utilizes the letters of the alphabet in various permutations. By immersing oneself in various permutations of letters and names one empties ones mind of the carnal thoughts that might interfere in focusing on the things of Elohim. Thus ones nefesh (soul), neshoma and ruach are freed from their natural constraints and opened to the influx of the Ruach HaKodesh. Through this process the believer is communing directly with the upper worlds and accessing the permutations of letters which are the creative substance of the universe, thus connecting with the worlds of formation and creation and the "Word", the ALEF and TAV through which all was created.

This practice is described in the Talmud:

Rab Judah said in the name of Rab: Bezalel knew how
to combine (TZIRUF) the letters by which the heavens
and earth were created. It is written here, And He hath filled
him with the spirit of God, in wisdom and in understanding,
and in knowledge (Ex. 35:31), and it is written elsewhere,
The Lord by wisdom founded the earth; by understanding
He established the heavens (Prov. 3:19), and it is also written,
By His knowledge the depths were broken up (Prov. 3:20).
(b.Ber. 55a)

And in the Zohar:

R. Eleazar began here with the verse, “Ask thee
a sign [Hebrew: OT “sign” or “letter”] of the Lord thy God,
ask it either in the depth or in the height above” (Isa. 7:11).
He said: ‘We have compared the former with the latter
generations, and found that the former were conversant with
a higher wisdom by which they knew how to combine (TZIRUF)
the letters that were given to Moses on Mount Sinai,
and even the sinners of Israel knew a deep wisdom
contained in the letters and the difference
between higher and lower letters,
and how to do things with them in this world.
For every letter that was transmitted to Moses used to
ascend as a crown upon the heads of the holy celestial Hayyoth,
who with them flitted through the ether which is
under the refined and unknowable supernal ether. There
were large letters and small letters; the large letters came
from the most high and hidden Temple (hekhal) and the
smaller letters from another lower Temple; and both kinds
were transmitted to Moses on Sinai, along with their
hidden combinations.
(Zohar 3:2a)

Tzeruf is comparable to "machine language" in computer programming.

The Hebrew word for "tongue" (LASHON) and the Hebrew word TZIRUF (permutation) have the same gematria (numerical value) (386) which is also the gematria for the word YESHUA.

It is the practice of Tziruf which Paul speaks of when he writes:

For he who speaks in a tongue
does not speak to the sons of men but to Eloah,
for no man understands a thing that he speaks;
yet in the spirit he speaks a mystery.
(1Cor. 14:2)

If I were to pray in a tongue, my spirit prays,
but my understanding is without fruit.
(1Cor. 14:14)

When man was created he was given the gift of speech that he might manifest the image of Elohim. Through the manifestation of the gift of tongues man is able to manifest the image of Elohim on an even deeper level.

The Ba`al Shem Tov said:
to their root in Heaven”

Don’t forget to support this work with your contributions, tithes and offerings.
Through our free Bible Correspondence course and other free literature and Operation KIRUV we are reaching a lost world with Torah and Messiah. Through our blogs, literature and podcasts we are also feeding young believers milk and mature believers nice juicy steaks.

is this work worthy of your support? Ask yourself, have you learned anything from this ministry? If so then chip in and do your part to help spread this truth.

You make this work possible.

We must not neglect to provide the necessary funds to get out the true message of Torah and Messiah.

Stand up and support this work with your contributions, tithes and offerings. We are reaching a lost world with Torah and Messiah. Through our blogs, literature and podcasts we are also feeding young believers milk and mature believers nice juicy steaks.

You can donate by going to the pay-pal counter at http://www.nazarenespace.comor donations can be sent by paypal to donations@wnae.org.

Donations can also be made out to “Nazarene Judaism” and sent to:

Nazarene Judaism

PO Box 471

Hurst, TX 76053

James Trimm

Views: 441

Replies to This Discussion

I Have a Question Dear James, So when a person makes weird and creepy noises and kind of "tongues", is not a "supernatural" thing??? because i understand as i read that tongues is literally languages, and i cannot explain pretty well to my family and friends that are not in Torah, Blessings, and thanks Shalom 

That is my question also..  I am aware of actual languages they spoke by the Ruach. What about the kind that is spoken by popular televagelists? I have not seen that form demonstrated in the scriptures and Mark 16:17 and what Shaul says about tongues building up the self and praying utterings. How do we explain it?

Two nights ago I awakened in the night with "thoughts" that I often experience as a teaching method from Yahusha.  These thoughts were pertaining to this topic, since I'd never considered that when Yahusha spoke all things into existence He used the letters and the meaning He gave each one to possess the creative "power" to accomplish what He spoke.  The original texts were written down without word-breaks, and like a musical score, are "potential" until they are spoken aloud.  Instead of words as we now understand them, Yahusha may have literally spelled each LETTER aloud, bringing forth each individual letter's meaning forth.  Words would then compartmentalize the aggregate meanings, much like we utilize acronyms. 

The letters are the true source from which each Hebrew word derives its meaning.  This is just a "thought", and perhaps even a revelation.  This article seems to confirm what I was shown, although at this time I don't know where it will fit into things.

What a great article.

Ayina,

Lets not forget the "other Yeshua" also has an "other Spirit" (2Cor. 11:4) and even if a person can perform signs, wonders and miracles and prophecies that are fulfilled, if they teach against Torah they are false prophets (Deut. 13).

James you said,

"The name Yosef is sometines spelled in the Tanak Yahusef".

Can you give the verses (at least one) where this spelling occurs in the Tanakh? 

Todah James!

My last question is how do we look at:

Isa 28:11  For with a jabbering lip and a foreign tongue He speaks to this people, 

(How do we interpret in Hebrew thinking "Jabbering lip?"  because I see people take this verse as two kinds of tongues... one for speaking a foreign tongue and the other as the televangelistic type. I call it that because I don't know the term for that type of tongue.) There are some who are of Torah who believe in the "Jabbering lip." And it seems that this is used as "evidence" for beign baptized in the Spirit.  

However I run across:

1Co 12:28 And Elohim has appointed these in the assembly: firstly emissaries, secondly prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, ministrations, kinds of tongues.
1Co 12:29 Are all emissaries? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles?
1Co 12:30 Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?
1Co 12:31 But earnestly seek the better gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.

Which clearly states...not everyone will have tongues.  

Some teachers make it seem like if one does not speak tongues, which seems to be the only gift that is upheld---that somehow one is lacking in the Spirit.  But that same person may prophesy, which still includes the Ruach (assuming a Torah oriented person.)

Lastly:

1Co 14:2 For he who is speaking in a tongue does not speak to men but to Elohim, for no one understands, but in the Spirit he speaks secrets.

1Co 14:4 He who is speaking in a tongue builds up himself, but he who is prophesying builds up the assembly.
1Co 14:5 Now I wish you all spoke with tongues, but rather that you might prophesy, for he who is prophesying is greater than he who is speaking with tongues, unless he interprets, so that the assembly might receive upbuilding.
1Co 14:6 But now, brothers, if I come to you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you unless I speak to you, either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by teaching?

1Co 14:13 Therefore, he who is speaking in a tongue, let him pray that he might interpret.
1Co 14:14 For if I am praying in a tongue, my spirit is praying, but my understanding is without fruit.

***(This above passage throws me off because if tongues were to be used for people--then why the building up of self? why does no one understand but Elohim in vs 2? )

Rom 8:25 And if we expect what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with endurance.
Rom 8:26 And in the same way the Spirit does help in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray, but the Spirit Himself pleads our case for us with groanings unutterable.

(The underlined is also used to indicate a blabbering style tongue.)

Here is the reflection of Isaiah 28:11-- 

1Co 14:21 In the Torah it has been written, “With men of other tongues and other lips I shall speak to this people. And even so, they shall not hear Me, says יהוה.”

I am just weighing things out....I lean towards Tongues being actual languages being spoken that one has not learned.

Thank you for your response!!

Ayina

James Trimm said:

Ayina,

Lets not forget the "other Yeshua" also has an "other Spirit" (2Cor. 11:4) and even if a person can perform signs, wonders and miracles and prophecies that are fulfilled, if they teach against Torah they are false prophets (Deut. 13).

There is a special connection in the Scriptures between Ephraim and the gift of tongues.

In his First letter to the Corinthians Paul writes:

21 In the Torah it is written: With a strange speech and with another tongue I will
speak with this people; even so, they will not hear Me, says YHWH. (Is. 28:11)
22 Therefore, tongues are placed for a sign: not to believers, but to those who do not
believe. And prophecies are not to those who do not believe, but to those who believe.
(1Cor. 14:21-22 HRV)

Here Paul is quoting Isaiah:

11 For with stammering lips and with a strange tongue, shall it be spoken to this people
(Is. 28:11 HRV)

Who is “this people”? The answer is in Is. 28:1a “Woe to the crown of pride of the drunkards of Efrayim…”

Now in context the prophecy in question speaks of Ephraim in exile being exposed to languages that they do not understand. Why does Paul apply this to the practice of Tzaruf (Permutations)? A clue appears in Obadiah:

20 And the captivity of this host of the children of Yisra’el, that are among the
Kena’anites, even unto Tzarfat, and the captivity of Yerushalayim, that is in Sepharad,
shall possess the cities of the South.
(Obadiah 1:20 HRV)

From this passage we learn that remnants of the House of Judah would find themselves in exile in “Sepharad” (Spain) but remnants of the House of Israel would find themselves in exile in “Tzarfat” (France).

In Ancient times France came to be inhabited by the Gauls who had migrated from an area just north of the Assyrian Empire across Europe to the area we know today as France. The HRV appendix map 1 shows the Ancient World as known to the Hebrews. You will see the land we know today as France was Gaul. These Gauls were also known as Celts... they migrated across the English channel into the Brittish isles... thus the Celts spoke "Gealic". According to Obadiah 1:20 the House of Israel would migrate to a place called Tzarfat... this is the Hebrew word for "France" in fact Rashi's commentary on Obadiah 1:20 says that this refers to France. These "Gauls" were GAL-aeens who had been exiled by the Assyrians to the land north of Assyria, As they passed through the area known now as Turkey they created a colony there called GAL-atia. If one compares the openning of James and 1Kefa there is an obvious parallel. One will notice that "the twelve tribes scattered among the nations" in James is said in 1Kefa to include "Galatia".

So the “stammering lips and with a strange tongue” (Is. 28:11) that Ephraim would hear in the captivity is “Tzarfati” (French). Paul makes a wordplay by citing this verse to show that it would be a great sign when Ephraim would be spoken to with TZARUF (or TZARFAT).

Ephraim’s connection with Tongues is further evident by the fact that the patriarch Joseph was given the gift of tongues allowing him to speak and understand the seventy languages of the Gentiles, just as Ephraim was to be in exile among the seventy nations.

The Talmud relates:

Rabbi Hiyya ben Abba said in the name of Rabbi Johanan: "At the moment when Pharaoh said to Joseph, And without thee shall no man lift up his hand, Pharaoh's astrologers exclaimed: 'Wilt thou set in power over us a slave whom his master bought for twenty pieces of silver!' He replied to them, 'discern in him royal characteristics.' They said to him, 'in that case he must be acquainted with the seventy languages.' Angel Gabriel came and taught [Joseph] the seventy languages, but he could not learn them. Thereupon [Gabriel] added to his name a letter from the Name of the Holy One, blessed be He, and he knew [the languages]..."
(b.Sotah 36b)

The same story appears in the Book of Jasher:

And the angel roused him from his sleep, and Joseph rose up and stood upon his legs, and behold the angel of the Lord was standing opposite to him; and the angel of the Lord spoke with Joseph, and he taught him all the languages of man in that night, and he called his name Jehoseph.
(Jasher 49:14)

The name Yosef is sometines spelled in the Tanak Yahusef. According to the Talmud the extra letter “H” (hey) from the name of YHWH was added to his name thus giving him the knowledge of the seventy languages which he had been unable to learn. It is significant that in Jewish tradition the first HEY in the name of YHWH represents the Ruach HaKodesh. Thus Yosef received the Ruach HaKodesh and the gift of tongues.

This is what Paul alludes to when he writes:

21 In the Torah it is written: With a strange speech and with another tongue I will
speak with this people; even so, they will not hear Me, says YHWH. (Is. 28:11)
22 Therefore, tongues are placed for a sign: not to believers, but to those who do not
believe. And prophecies are not to those who do not believe, but to those who believe.
(1Cor. 14:21-22 HRV)

I'll address the rest of your questions soon.

1Cor. 12 speaks of "kinds of tongues".  Yes one kind is other earthly languages.  However as you pointed out when Paul says:

For he who speaks in a tongue
does not speak to the sons of men but to Eloah,
for no man understands a thing that he speaks;
yet in the spirit he speaks a mystery.
(1Cor. 14:2)

and:

If I were to pray in a tongue, my spirit prays,
but my understanding is without fruit.
(1Cor. 14:14)

it is clearly not talking about an earthly language. I believe here it speaks of the practice of Tzeruf discussed in my article above.

I think this is also what the Baal Shem Tov speaks of when he says:

to their root in Heaven”

The following is a teaching from my friend and colleague

Rabbi Rob Miller on the Gift of Tongues:

Gifts of Tongues & Interpretation
By Rabbi Rob Miller

“Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant: you know that you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led. Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of Yahweh calls YahShua accursed, and no one can say that YahShua is King except by the Holy Spirit. There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are differences of ministries, but the same Sovereign. And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same Elohim who works all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: for to one is given…different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills. (1 Corinthians 12:1-11)”

“He who believes and is immersed will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will follow those who believe: in My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover. (Mark 16:16-18)”

“When the Day of Shavuot (Pentecost) had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Ruach HaKodesh (Holy Spirit) and began to speak with other tongues, as the Ruach gave them utterance. (Acts 2:1-4)”
The Gift of Tongues

The Gift of Tongues is a Spiritual utterance, which the one doing the speaking does not understand until the Spirit gives the interpretation. It is a vocal miracle of speech (Acts 2:4-8; Acts 10:46; Acts 19:1-6; 1Cor 12-14). The immersion of believers in the Ruach HaKodesh is witnessed by the initial physical sign of speaking with other tongues as the Spirit of Yahweh gives utterance (Acts 2:4).

“Speaking in Tongues” refers to the first outward, observable sign that the Ruach HaKodesh has come in filling power. The repeated testimony of Scripture is that this physical sign occurred at the time the Spirit was poured out on individuals. When the 120 disciples were filled with the Spirit, they spoke in tongues (Acts 2:4). They spoke then, not a day, week, or year later.

Years ago, as I studied at the Chabad on Yom Kippur, there broke out during a time of worship a spontaneous outburst of unintellible speech. Concerned at my reaction they came over to me to explain what was going on. They said this is the “Ecstasy of the Holy Spirit.” I assured them I knew what it was I was just shocked they could get it. I was raised as a Pentecostal, I knew what it was I just didn’t know Jews could get it.

That wasn’t the question in the First Century. When Cornelius’s household was immersed in the Spirit, members spoke in tongues, and the believing Jews were amazed that they could get the gift like them (Acts 10:44—48). Again, they spoke in tongues at the same time they were immersed, not at some later time. When the Ephesians believers were immersed in the Spirit, they spoke in tongues and prophesied (Acts 19:1—6). There is no statement or implication of a delay between the event of the immersion in the Spirit and the evidence of speaking in tongues. Those who teach there can be a delay in speaking in tongues draw their conclusions from personal experience or the testimony of others, not from a clear statement of Scripture. Scripture nowhere teaches, implies, or gives an example of a delay occurring between the immersion in the Spirit and the evidence of speaking in tongues; therefore we must yield to the testimony of Scripture not experience.

The immersion in the Ruach haKodesh is just the open door leading into a Spirit-filled life–a fact that can be easily overlooked, even by Messianic Believers. Having spoken in tongues upon being immersed in the Ruach, the Believer must continue to respond to the supernatural promptings of the Ruach haKodesh. For example, praying in the Spirit (intercessory and worship expressions in tongues) should be a continuing part of the new Spirit-filled life.

We believe this last-days outpouring of the Ruach haKodesh is Yahweh’s sovereign move to meet the satanic challenges of the day and to prepare the Commonwealth of Israel for His soon return. Around the world, Yahweh is moving by His Ruach haKodesh in powerful and dynamic ways.

The Mikveh of the Ruach

Mikveh literally means gathering. It usually has to do with a gathering of living water for the purpose of immersion. Rav Yochannan haTivilah (John the Baptist) prophesied that the Messiah would come and, "He will immerse you with the Ruach haKodesh" (Matthew 3:11; Mark 1:8; Luke 3:16; cf. also John 1:33). At the conclusion of His earthly ministry, Messiah YahShua referred to Rav Yochannan’s statement, “for Rav Yochannan truly immersed with water, but you shall be immersed with the Ruach haKodesh not many days from now. (Acts 1:5)” Rabbi Shimon Kepha, in reporting on the events in the home of Cornelius ben Noach, said, “…as I began to speak, the Ruach haKodesh fell upon them, as upon us at the beginning. Then I remembered the word of the King, how He said, " Rav Yochannan indeed immersed with water, but you shall be immersed with the Ruach haKodesh.' If therefore Yahweh gave them the same gift as He gave us when we believed on the King Messiah YahShua, who was I that I could withstand Yahweh?" When they heard these things they became silent; and they glorified Yahweh, saying, "Then Yahweh has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life. (Acts 11:15-18).

Messiah YahShua promised the Messianic Believers upon his ascension, “…being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father… you shall receive power when the Ruach haKodesh has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth. (Acts 1:4,8)” Acts 2:4 states, "All of them were filled with the Ruach haKodesh," on the Day of Shavuot (see also Acts 9:17). In Acts 2:17 Rabbi Kepha describes this filling with the Ruach haKodesh as a fulfillment of the prophet Joel’s prophecy that Yahweh will "pour out [His] Spirit on all people" (Acts 10:45). According to Acts 8:16, prior to the ministry of Rabbi Kepha and Rabbi Yochannan in Samaria , the Ruach haKodesh "had not yet come" on any of the Samaritans (Acts 10:44; 11:15). After the laying on of the apostles’ hands, the Samaritans "received the Holy Spirit" (Acts 10:47).

Dr. James Trimm taught in his article: “This brings us to what is called in Rabbinic Judaism "Khokhmat HaTziruf" (Wisdom of Permutation) or simply "Tziruf" (permutation). This practice utilizes the letters of the alphabet in various permutations. By immersing oneself in various permutations of letters and names one empties ones mind of the carnal thoughts that might interfere in focusing on the things of Elohim. Thus ones nefesh (soul), neshoma and ruach are freed from their natural constraints and opened to the influx of the Ruach HaKodesh. Through this process the believer is communing directly with the upper worlds and accessing the

permutations of letters which are the creative substance of the universe, thus connecting with the worlds of formation and creation and the "Word", the ALEF and TAV through which all was created.”

We see this in the Talmud: ““Rab Judah said in the name of Rab: Bezalel knew how to combine (TZIRUF) the letters by which the heavens and earth were created. It is written here, ‘And He hath filled him with the spirit of Elohim, in wisdom and in understanding, and in knowledge (Ex. 35:31),’ and it is written elsewhere, ‘Adonai by wisdom founded the earth; by understanding He established the heavens (Prov. 3:19),’ and it is also written, ‘By His knowledge the depths were broken up (Prov. 3:20).’” Just like He gathered the waters on the earth for immersion.

Even the Zohar say: “R. Eleazar began here with the verse, ‘Ask thee a sign [Hebrew: OT “sign” or “letter”] of the Lord thy God, ask it either in the depth or in the height above (Isa. 7:11).’ He said: ‘We have compared the former with the latter generations, and found that the former were conversant with a higher wisdom by which they knew how to combine (TZIRUF) the letters that were given to Moses on Mount Sinai, and even the sinners of Israel knew a deep wisdom contained in the letters and the difference between higher and lower letters, and how to do things with them in this world. For every letter that was transmitted to Moses used to ascend as a crown upon the heads of the holy celestial Hayyoth (Living Creatures), who with them flitted through the ether which is under the refined and unknowable supernal ether. There were large letters and small letters; the large letters came from the most high and hidden Temple (hekhal) and the smaller letters from another lower Temple ; and both kinds were transmitted to Moses on Sinai, along with their hidden combinations.”

What It Is Not

It is not the ability to rapidly learn foreign languages. This idea does not line up with the Word in 1Corinthians 14:14 where Rabbi Sha’ul plainly states that he doesn't know what he is saying when he speaks in tongues. Rabbi Sha’ul says his spirit (the inner man) knows, but his mind did not understand it. 1 Corinthians 14:14 says: "For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful." This plainly rules out the ability to learn a foreign language.

Once I was invited to a Campbellite Church of Christ function. The minister spotted me and came over and began challenging me. “Speaking in tongues is of the Devil,” he said to which I answered, Acts 2:4 "they were all FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT and began to speak with other tongues..."

The Gift of Tongues is not to be forbidden.

“Therefore, brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues. (1 Corinthians 14:39)”

“And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. (Ephesians 6:18)”

“But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. (Jude 1:20)”

The Gift of Tongues has not passed away. This faulty idea comes from a misinterpretation of 1 Corinthians 13:8-10. “Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.” It is claimed that this passage of Scripture teaches that the Gift of Tongues ceased when the canon of Scripture was completed and that the Gift of Tongues is no longer in existence. First of all, the canon of Scripture is not complete, we are still missing several books mentioned in Scripture. The Prophet Daniel implies these will be restored during the Endtimes. If the Scriptures are the “Perfect One” which translation is perfect? No, the “Perfect One” is King Messiah YahShua! Thus, the gift of tongues will definitely be a part of the Messianic Movement and its ministry until the coming of the Messiah.

The Purpose of the Gift

The Gift of Tongues edifies the Believer. “He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself... (1 Corinthians 14:4)” One way this is done is by allowing the Spirit to pray for us in a kind of secret code that man nor angel can decipher. “For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. (1 Corinthians 14:14)” “In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with Yahweh's will. (Romans 8:26-27)”

The Gift of Tongues can also enhance our worship. When we are filled with the Spirit we can sing in tongues too. “So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind. (1 Corinthians 14:15)”

The Gift of Tongues can enhance our praise. “If you are praising Yahweh with your spirit, how can one who finds himself among those who do not understand say "Amien" to your thanksgiving, since he does not know what you are saying? You may be giving thanks well enough, but the other man is not edified. (1 Corinthians 14:16-17)”

Rabbi Sha’ul is explaining why, in a public worship, a person should not praise Yahweh above the praising of the congregation in tongues but praising Yahweh quietly, or privately in tongues is perfectly acceptable.

The tongues used in a public worship service must be interpreted or else is it considered out of order. “To one there is given through the Spirit...speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. (1 Corinthians 12:8-10)”

Interpretation of Tongues

The Gift of the Interpretation of Tongues is the Spiritual manifestation of Yahweh using Spirit-filled Believer’s vocal organs, giving utterance in a known language, telling the meaning of the words which have been spoken with Spiritual tongues.

Rabbi Sha’ul says that interpretation of tongues is equal to prophecy (1 Corinthians 14:15). He says this gift helps us to profit (1 Corinthians 14:16). Yahweh says for us to pray for this gift if we speak with tongues (1 Corinthians 14:5), and for us all to speak with tongues (1 Corinthians 14:5&13). Rabbi Sha’ul said LET someone interpret (1 Corinthians 14:27). There should be SOMEONE to interpret each message. There does not need to be a CERTAIN one; neither should there be competition (1 Corinthians 14:27). Whenever tongues are used audibly in a public worship service they have to be interpreted by someone so the entire congregation can be built up and not just the one doing the speaking. The number of times this can occur in a given service is limited to two or three at the most.

Scriptural Examples

When Yahweh comes down all of creation is effected. Rabbi Joseph Hertz (Authorized Daily Prayer Book, 791) observes, “The Revelation at Sinai, it was taught, was given in the desert territory, which belongs to no one nation exclusively: and it was not heard by Israel alone, but by the inhabitants of all the earth. The Divine Voice divided itself into seventy tongues then spoken on the earth, so that all the children of men might understand its world embracing and man-redeeming message.”

The Commentary, Exodus Rabbah 5:9 says, “When [Yahweh] gave the Torah on Sinai, He displayed untold marvels to Israel with His voice. What happened? [Yahweh] spoke and the voice reverberated throughout the world…It says, And all the people witnessed the thunderings (Exodus 20:18). Note, it does not say “the thunder,” but “the thunderings”; wherefore, Rabbi Yochannan said that [Yahweh’s] voice, as it uttered, split into seventy voices, in seventy languages, so that all the nations should understand. When each nation heard the Voice in their own vernacular, their soul departed (they were afraid) save Israel , who heard but were not hurt…”

Rabbi Moshe Weissman, in his book, “The Midrash Says On Shemot (Exodus),” “On the occasion of Matan Torah (Giving of the Torah on Shavuot), the B’nai Yisrael not only heard [Yahweh’s] Voice but actually saw the sound waves as they emerged from [Yahweh’s] mouth. They visualized them as a fiery substance. Each commandment that left [Yahweh’s] mouth traveled around the entire camp and then came back to every [Israelite] individually, asking them, ‘Do you accept upon yourself this commandment with all halachot (Scriptural understanding) pertaining to it.’ Every [Israelite] answered, ‘Yes,’ after each commandments. Finally, the fiery substance which they saw, engraved itself on the luchot (sapphire cubes).”

As Moses went up on the Mountain he was filled with the Ruach haKodesh. After Yahweh gave the example of the Tabernacle and upon its completion, Yahweh told Moses, “Gather to Me seventy men of the elders of Israel , whom you know to be the elders of the people and officers over them; bring them to the Tabernacle of Meeting, that they may stand there with you. Then I will come down and talk with you there. I will take of the Spirit that is upon you and will put the same upon them; and they shall bear the burden of the people with you, that you may not bear it yourself alone…So Moses went out and told the people the words of Yahweh, and he gathered the seventy men of the elders of the people and placed them around the Tabernacle. Then Yahweh came down in the cloud, and spoke to him, and took of the Spirit that was upon him, and placed the same upon the seventy elders; and it happened, when the Spirit rested upon them, that they Il Sof (incomprehensible speech), and did not cease. But two men had remained in the camp: the name of one was Eldad, and the name of the other Medad. And the Spirit rested upon them. Now they were among those listed, but who had not gone out to the Tabernacle; yet they prophesied in the camp. And a young man ran and told Moses, and said, "Eldad and Medad are prophesying in the camp." So Joshua ben Nun, Moses' assistant, one of his choice men, answered and said, "Moses my lord, forbid them!" Then Moses said to him, "Are you zealous for my sake? Oh, that all the Yahweh's people were prophets and that Yahweh would put His Spirit upon them!" And Moses returned to the camp, he and the elders of Israel . (Numbers 11)”

Yahweh keeps giving revelation. “But the Word of Yahweh was to them, "Precept upon precept, precept upon precept, line upon line, line upon line, here a little, there a little" (Isaiah 28:13)” This is exactly what Isaiah saw: “For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. (Isaiah 28:11-12)

Joel received more of the revelation that Moses’ prayer would be answered.: “I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days. (Joel 2:28, 29)”

“[Rav Yochannan HaTivilah] preached, saying, "There cometh after me One mightier than I, the strap of whose shoes I am not worthy to stoop down and unloose. I indeed have immersed you with water, but He shall immerse you with the Ruach HaKodesh (Holy Spirit). (Mark 1:7-9)"

“…being assembled together with them, [Messiah] commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, "which," He said, "you have heard from Me; for Yochannan truly immersed with water, but you shall be immersed with the Holy Spirit not many days from now." Therefore, when they had come together, they asked Him, saying, "Sovereign, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel ?" And He said to them, "It is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has put in His own authority. But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem , and in all Judea and Samaria , and to the end of the earth. And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven. And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language. Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, "Look, are not all these who speak Galileans? And how is it that we hear, each in our own language in which we were born? Parthians and Medes and Elamites, those dwelling in Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya adjoining Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabs--we hear them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of Yahweh." So they were all amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, "Whatever could this mean?" (Acts 1:4-12)"

“When Shavu’ot (the Day of Pentecost) had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues (Il Sof), as the Spirit gave them utterance. (Acts 2:1-4)”

“Rabbi Kepha, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words: for these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day. But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel …(Acts 2:14-16).”

“Howbeit when he, the Spirit of Truth, is come, he will guide you into all Truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come. (John 16:13)”

“…it is written: "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which Yahweh has prepared for those who love Him. (Isaiah 64:4)" But Yahweh has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of Yahweh. (1 Corinthians 2:9,10)”

“And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Rabbi Kepha, because the Gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. (Acts 10:45)”

“[Messiah] has made us competent to be workers serving a New Covenant, the essence which is not a written text but the Spirit. For the written text brings death, but the Spirit gives life. (2 Corinthians 3:6)”

“Yahweh is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in Spirit and in Truth. (John 4:24)”

“…we ourselves were also once foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving various lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful and hating one another. But when the kindness and the love of Yahweh our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Messiah YahShua our Savior, that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. (Titus 3:3-7)”

“On the land of my people will come up thorns and briers, yes, on all the happy homes in the joyous city; because the palaces will be forsaken, the bustling city will be deserted. The forts and towers will become lairs forever, a joy of wild donkeys, a pasture of flocks until the Spirit is poured upon us from on high, and the wilderness becomes a fruitful field, and the fruitful field is counted as a forest. Then justice will dwell in the wilderness, and righteousness remain in the fruitful field. The work of righteousness will be peace, and the effect of righteousness, quietness and assurance forever. My people will dwell in a peaceful habitation, in secure dwellings, and in quiet resting places, when hail comes down on the forest, and the city is brought low in humiliation. Blessed are you who sow beside all waters, who send out freely the feet of the ox and the donkey. (Isaiah 32:13-20)”

Before Messiah Comes he promises a new outpouring of the Spirit. “Fear not, O land; be glad and rejoice, for Yahweh has done marvelous things! Do not be afraid, you beasts of the field (Gentiles at large); for the open pastures are springing up (places of conversion), and the tree bears its fruit; the fig tree ( Israel ) and the vine (Israelite and convert – Commonwealth of Israel ) yield their strength. Be glad then, you children of Zion, and rejoice in Yahweh your Elohim; for He has given you the former rain faithfully (Numbers 11), and He will cause the rain to come down for you-- the former rain, and the latter rain (Acts 2) in the first month. The threshing floors shall be full of wheat, and the vats shall overflow with new wine and oil. (The outpouring of the former and latter rain will happen at the Endtimes.)

So I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten, the crawling locust, the consuming locust, and the chewing locust, My great army which I sent among you. You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied, and praise the name of Yahweh your Elohim, Who has dealt wondrously with you; and My people shall never be put to shame. Then you shall know that I am in the midst of Israel : I am Yahweh your Elohim and there is no other. My people shall never be put to shame.

And it shall come to pass afterward that I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions. And also on My menservants and on My maidservants I will pour out My Spirit in those days.

And I will show wonders in the heavens and in the earth: blood and fire and pillars of smoke. The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the coming of the great and awesome day of Yahweh. And it shall come to pass that whoever calls on the name of Yahweh shall be saved. For in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be deliverance, as Yahweh has said, ‘Among the remnant whom Yahweh calls.’ (Joel 2;21-32)”

The Need for the Gift

“Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives , the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?"

And Rebbe YahShua answered and said to them: "Take heed that no one deceives you. For many will come in My name, saying, "I am anointed,' and will deceive many. And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of sorrows.

Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name's sake. And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. But he who endures to the end shall be saved. And this Full Messianic Message of the Kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

Therefore when you see the "abomination of desolation (the Golem),' (Daniel 11:31; 12:11) spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place" (whoever reads, let him understand), then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. Let him who is on the housetop not go down to take anything out of his house. And let him who is in the field not go back to get his clothes. But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be. And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect's sake those days will be shortened.

Then if anyone says to you, "Look, here is the Messiah!' or "There!' do not believe it. For false Messiahs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. See, I have told you beforehand.

Therefore if they say to you, "Look, He is in the desert!' do not go out; or "Look, He is in the inner rooms!' do not believe it. For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. For wherever the carcass is, there the eagles will be gathered together.

Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. (Matthew 24:3-29)”

We will need the Gifts of Tongues and Interpretation in the Endtime as Joel says so that we may “endure to the end.” We need to humbled ourselves in Teshuvah. The secret to the outpouring of the Spirit is having a humble heart. It makes one gentle. It opens one to communication with the Holy Spirit. It easily, lightly and naturally guides one away from sin and towards fulfillment. Learning to have a humble heart is a great lesson to be sought. Having a humble heart is a precious trait. The Fruit of the Spirit took us from being a wilderness into being a Forest .

“Let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them. Then all the trees of the forest will sing for joy; they will sing before Yahweh, for he comes, he comes to judge the earth. (Psalm 96:12)"

Now that we are established as a Forest it is time for Judgment! There is a side of judgment that should fill all of us with dread and awe. “The fear of Yahweh is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever. (Psalm 111:10)”

Because his judgment brings mercy, a "refuge for the oppressed." For the oppressors, His judgment is bad news, but for the oppressed it is good news!: “From heaven you pronounced judgment, and the land feared and was quiet - when you, O Yahweh, rose up to judge, to save all the afflicted of the land. (Psalms 76:8)” As James 2:13 says, "Mercy triumphs over judgment."

The Spirit filled Believer responds to the coming judgment of Yahweh: with expectation and hope. “Yahweh reigns forever; he has established his throne for judgment. He will judge the world in righteousness; he will govern the peoples with justice. Yahweh is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. (Psalms 9:7-9)”

The “times of trouble” may be hard for a moment, but it also brings an end to human injustice. Psalms 94:2 says, "Rise up, O Judge of the earth; pay back to the proud what they deserve."

Why is Yahweh's judgment finally necessary and even merciful? Because it preserves order.

"And it shall come to pass afterward that I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions. And also on My menservants and on My maidservants I will pour out My Spirit in those days. And I will show wonders in the heavens and in the earth: blood and fire and pillars of smoke. The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the coming of the great and awesome day of Yahweh.

And it shall come to pass that whoever calls on the name of Yahweh shall be saved. For in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be deliverance, as Yahweh has said, ‘Among the remnant whom Yahweh calls.’ (Joel 2:28-32)”

“After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth to prevent any wind from blowing on the land [or earth] or on the sea or on any tree. Then I saw another angel coming up from the east, having the seal of the living Elohim. (Rev. 7:1,2)”

“The fifth angel sounded his trumpet, and I saw a star that had fallen from the sky to the earth. The star was given the key to the shaft of the Abyss. When he opened the Abyss, smoke rose from it like the smoke from a gigantic furnace. The sun and sky were darkened by the smoke from the Abyss. And out of the smoke locusts came down upon the earth and were given power like that of scorpions of the earth. They were told not to harm the grass of the earth or any plant or tree, but only those people who did not have the seal of Yahweh on their foreheads. They were not given power to kill them, but only to torture them for five months. And the agony they suffered was like that of the sting of a scorpion when it strikes a man. During those days men will seek death, but will not find it; they will long to die, but death will elude them. (Rev. 9:1-6)”

What is the seal of Yahweh? “Now it is Yahweh who makes both us and you stand firm in Messiah. He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come. (2Cor. 1:21,22)”

“…you also were included in Messiah when you heard the word of truth, the Full Messianic Message of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are Yahweh's possession (Eph. 1:13,14).”

“Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of Yahweh, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Messiah Yahweh forgave you. Be imitators of Yahweh, therefore, as dearly loved children 2and live a life of love, just as Messiah loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to Yahweh. (Eph. 4:29-5:1)”

Yahweh's seal of ownership, His sign of affirmation is the Holy Spirit. It is the sign or deposit "guaranteeing our inheritance" or salvation until "the day of redemption."

Rabbi Sha’ul asks the Believers “. . . Have ye received the Holy Spirit since ye believed? . . . (Acts 19:2).”

Kefa,

What do you mean?  I do not understand.

RSS

LINKS

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by James Trimm.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service