Nazarene Space

In the book of Jasher, chapter 16 verse 11 it say: And Adonizedek, king of Jerusalem, the same was Shem, went with his men to meet Avraham and his people. Now this makes perfect sense seeing that Shem was obviously alive during the life of Avraham. However, according to the book of Hebrews, presumably written by Sha'ul, it says this; Hebrews chapter 7 verses 1-3-This Malki-Tzedek, king of Shalem, a cohen of God Ha'Elyon, met Avraham on his way back from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him; also Avraham gave him a tenth of everything. Now first of all, by translation of his name, he is king of righteousness, and then he is also king of Shalem, which means king of peace. There is no record of his father, mother, ancestry, birth, or death; rather, like the Son of God, he continues as a cohen for all time.
Now as far as I can see, correct me if I'm wrong, but this presents somewhat of a problem with the accuracy of the book of Jashers record. If Shem was Malki-Tzedek then there certainly would be record of his family, ancestry, birth and death. Besides that, assuming Sha'ul wrote Hebrews, being a pharisee of the pharisees, I'm quite sure he would have been aware of this record and of the writings in Jasher, yet he speaks of this kings identity as if it were a mystery! This leaves me to conclude, on the basis of scripture, that Malki-Tzedek was NOT in fact Shem. Of course this is a discussion and it's wonderful to hear what everyone has to say, but without other scriptural backing, I don't think I can see this any other way.

Tags: Jasher, Malki-Tzedek, Scripture

Views: 142

Replies to This Discussion

i also think so. because sha'ul knew way to much to not have all the information and if he didn't say he was shem then he most likely wasn't. Yeshua had other appearances here on earth before His birth, i think they call them philophanies or something along that line. it seems strange to make sense of it, but with God all things are possible right!

Connie said:
I have come to the conclusion that Malkitzedek was Yahshua. First of all Malkitzedek, scripture says
had no mother or father. Shem did.
Malkitzedek gave bread and wine to Avraham . Yahshua is the first person that scripture mentions that gave bread and wine at the passover meal since the time of Malitzedek.
We did a study on this during the week of the feast of unleaven bread. I will look back and see if I can find the notes on this.
ver interesting, one thing though, I connected Avraham seeing His day and rejoicing, with AAvraham at mount Moriah, when he went to sacrifice Issac and looked out and said that Yahweh Himself would provide the lamb. This is when he would have saw His day and rejoiced. It is much to think about though.

Connie said:
Okay I ask a sister for her notes as I couldn't find mine.(I have 3 computers with tons of studies on them)
Re reading over her notes I found what I knew was the key to showing Yahshua was Malkitzedek.
John 8 : 56 - 58
"Your father Avraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad. Then the Jews said to Him, You aren't yet 50 years old and you have seen Avraham ? Yahshua said to them, verily, verly I say to you, Before Avraham was, I am.

This is a copy of her notes from this study you might find interesting.

Melchizedek, who has no beginning of days nor end, blessed Avraham , after he got the victory from his enemies. All lives were saved and nothing was lost. This Melchizedek, had to be Messiah, Yahshua who lives forever, and was a MOST HOLY HIGH PRIEST of El Most High. For Yahshua said that Avraham saw his day and rejoiced. . John 8:56 Yahshua gave to Avraham the blessings of possessing the kingdom of Yahweh, him and his seed, who all had faith. To inherit the city whose maker was Yahweh. This is the first time bread and wine was ordained, by Melchizedek. Teaching Avraham about the Messiah to come., by breaking bread, and drinking wine. All of which was spiritual blessings , from a spiritual priest. ,Melchizedek. And given a tenth to him of all he possessed. So Melchizedek , the Messiah blessed Avraham , with spiritual blessings. WE ALSO HAVE THIS blessing in Yahshua , to inherit all things in Yahweh's kingdom.

2. Pesach means to escape from death. This is the second blessing . By the blood of the lamb , the children of Israel escaped death, of the death angel, who went into the land of egypt and smote the first born. Israel, smitten with fear put the blood of the lamb upon the lintel and the two side posts of the doors, and escaped death by the death angel, escaped Yahwehs judgement . Notice that under Moses, there was bread , but no wine. Still the blood of the animal did not give them eternal life, as they died who kept Yahweh's law , and went into Avrahams bossom , waiting for the promise of the passover lamb, Yahshua. Who went into captivity and lead captive, and gave gifts unto men. filling them with his spirit and covering their sins by his blood. This is the second promise that we can escape death, and come out of bondage. by believing on the true passover lamb, Yahshua.

3. The 3rd blessing is Yahshua our passover lamb, who shed his blood for us to inherit eternal life in Yahweh's kingdom. This is the first time Yahshua does something not found in the Torah. He took bread and broke it , giving to his disciples said take , eat this is my body.
Then he took a cup , and gave thanks, and gave to them, saying, DRINK , for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many unto remission of sins. He ordained this being higher than His law.
Third is Messiah who set us free from our sins, by his utimate sacrifice.

All 3 events tie into one event, the passover.
Two things:

First, I do not believe that Paul / Sha'ul wrote Hebrews, mostly based on writing style.
Second, I believe that Melchizadek was Shem, and I do not believe this violates the passage pertaining to him in Hebrews.

My reason behind this is that Melchizadek is a title, meaning "King of Righteousness", as opposed to a name. Hebrews also makes reference to how the priesthood has transitioned from Aaron to Melchizadek; two separate priesthoods that were each established in Torah.

The High Priest under the Priesthood of Aaron was always an individual holding that position, so why would the Priesthood of Melchizadek be any different? The main distinction is that Aaron was based upon lineage, while Melchizadek was based on righteousness.

I believe that Shem was the most righteous man alive (at the time of his encounter with Abraham), thus he was the "King of Righteousness" or the High Priest. Yahshua had become the High Priest as Melchizadek, not because He literally IS/WAS Melchizadek, but because He had inherited the title OF Melchizadek, as if it had been on to Him for His righteousness.

Thus when it says in Hebrews that he was without genealogy, or without beginning or end of days, etc... I believe this refers to the title OF the individual, and not the individual himself.

Just food for thought.
For a number of reasons I am persuaded that Paul was the author of Hebrews. The Church Fathers; Clement of Alexandria (150-212 C.E.) and Eusebius (315 C.E.) maintain Pauline authorship of the book. In addition, the most ancient New Testament manuscripts place Hebrews with the Pauline Epistles, as does the Peshitta Aramaic New Testament. From 2Peter 3:15 it appears that Paul had written a letter to the Hebrews (compare 2Pt. 3:15 with 2Pt. 1:1 and James 1:1). Pauline authorship is supported by the fact that the author was in bonds (10:34) in Italy (13:24) and Timothy was one of his companions (13:23). The author treats the subject of inheritance in detail, Paul had been commissioned to teach on the topic of inheritance (Acts 26:12-18) and only in the Pauline epistles is the concept of inheritance dealt with in such detail. Finally, the authors' expert use of the Seven Rules of Hillel and complex forms of Homiletic Midrashic Exegesis point to Paul (Saul), who had been a student of Gamliel (Acts 22:3) the grandson of Hillel.

J. Jury said:
Two things:

First, I do not believe that Paul / Sha'ul wrote Hebrews, mostly based on writing style.
Second, I believe that Melchizadek was Shem, and I do not believe this violates the passage pertaining to him in Hebrews.

My reason behind this is that Melchizadek is a title, meaning "King of Righteousness", as opposed to a name. Hebrews also makes reference to how the priesthood has transitioned from Aaron to Melchizadek; two separate priesthoods that were each established in Torah.

The High Priest under the Priesthood of Aaron was always an individual holding that position, so why would the Priesthood of Melchizadek be any different? The main distinction is that Aaron was based upon lineage, while Melchizadek was based on righteousness.

I believe that Shem was the most righteous man alive (at the time of his encounter with Abraham), thus he was the "King of Righteousness" or the High Priest. Yahshua had become the High Priest as Melchizadek, not because He literally IS/WAS Melchizadek, but because He had inherited the title OF Melchizadek, as if it had been on to Him for His righteousness.

Thus when it says in Hebrews that he was without genealogy, or without beginning or end of days, etc... I believe this refers to the title OF the individual, and not the individual himself.

Just food for thought.
Interesting; so do you disagree with Jasher's assessment of Melchizadek?

James Trimm said:
For a number of reasons I am persuaded that Paul was the author of Hebrews. The Church Fathers; Clement of Alexandria (150-212 C.E.) and Eusebius (315 C.E.) maintain Pauline authorship of the book. In addition, the most ancient New Testament manuscripts place Hebrews with the Pauline Epistles, as does the Peshitta Aramaic New Testament. From 2Peter 3:15 it appears that Paul had written a letter to the Hebrews (compare 2Pt. 3:15 with 2Pt. 1:1 and James 1:1). Pauline authorship is supported by the fact that the author was in bonds (10:34) in Italy (13:24) and Timothy was one of his companions (13:23). The author treats the subject of inheritance in detail, Paul had been commissioned to teach on the topic of inheritance (Acts 26:12-18) and only in the Pauline epistles is the concept of inheritance dealt with in such detail. Finally, the authors' expert use of the Seven Rules of Hillel and complex forms of Homiletic Midrashic Exegesis point to Paul (Saul), who had been a student of Gamliel (Acts 22:3) the grandson of Hillel.

RSS

LINKS

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by James Trimm.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service