Nazarene Space

In the third section of the book of 1Enoch, The Book of the Heavenly Luminartheries, there is a specific calendar detailed. This calendar is comprised of 360 days (1Eno 74:10-11, 75:1, & 82:11) plus 4 "intercalary" days (1Eno 75:1-2, 82:4-6, & 82:11), giving the year a total of 364 days (1Eno 72:8, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27, 29, 31 & 32, 74:10 & 12, 75:2, & 82:6).

This calendar is typically ignored (even amongst those who consider the book of 1Enoch Scripture) because it is "not accurate". After all, the solar year is just about 365 and 1/4 days long, not 364.

However, what seems to be overlooked, is 1Eno 80, which states that "in the days of the sinners" (the time leading up to the flood of Noah's day[v8]) the set courses of the sun, moom, and stars were altered, which very well could have changed the year from being exactly 364 days long to 365.242199 days in length.

Moreover, 1Eno 82:2-7 seems to be overlooked, which commends those who use this calendar (for "generations"after Enoch, thus after the number of days in the year was altered [v2]), calling the act of keeping this calendar "the way of righteousness"[v4]. This would require the calendar, along with its intercalary days, to be followed "forever" [v6]. This would obviously effect when we keep the feast days [v7].

So then, the questione may be asked, how can this be done?
If the idea of this "exact" calendar is that it is perfect, being perfectly divisible by 7, the number of perfection/completion, then it seeems the only way to account for the "mess up" of 1Eno 80 is to add a week to the year as needed. This would keep the year perfectly divisible by 7 and keep the feast days falling on the same day of the week every year. This would have to happen every five to six years, when the Vernal Equinox falls on the fourth day of the week. (If the Enochian calendar is is baised upon the sun, it stands to reason that it began when the sun was created on the fourth day of the week.)

But when can this week be added in the year? Perhaps 1Kings 8 answers this. It is recourded that the festival of the seventh month [v2] is cellebrated for 14 days instead of 7 [v65]. Could this be the time to add this this week that is naturally lost every five to six years?

Any thoughts on this?

Views: 772

Replies to This Discussion

The Ethiopic Text of this calendar differs substantially from the Aramaic, but not enough of the Aramaic survives to even begin a reconstruction... so for all practical purposes the "Calendar Section" is lost to us.
What other sections in the 1Enoch are lost to us...for all practical purposes? I would like to know which sections of the book are worth reading and which are not. If its not practical, its not worth concidering canon and I don't want to waist my time reading it.
I disagree with the Qumran sect for keeping the 1st day of the year on the 4th day of the week, and here's why, look at the facts surrounding Yahshua's death and resurrection...

IF Yahshua was the Passover Lamb...
and IF His death coincided with the slaughtering of the Passover lamb on the 14th...
and IF His resurrection was on the 1st day (Saturday evening)...
THEN His resurrection would have been on the 1st day of the week, the 17th of the first month...
and THEN, counting backwards, His death would have been on the 5th day of the week, the 14th of the month...

and counting backwards again...

The calendar for the first day of the year should be placed on the 6th day of the week (Thursday night). This was the day that man was created, hence it is when time began being recorded. This is the conclusions that my research leads me to.

And I agree completely that an additional week is necessary every 5.6 years.
The Astronomical Section is the only one that is unreliable, my book simply translates the best text of that section that we have. Appendix IV of my book addresses the Calendar problems.
I read your appendix and looked up the references in the section of the book of 1Enoch you used and saw no problems.

The first "problem" you mentioned (that the year is said to be 360 days long in 1Eno 74:10-11) is in no conflict with the rest of the book, particularly 1Eno 75:1 & 82:11, which state that the year is 360 days long with 4 days added. This is also in agreement with Gen 7:11&24/8:3-4, 1 Chr 27:1-15, 1 Ki 4:7, Est 3:7, & Rev 11:2-3/12:6/13:5.

The second (and final) "problem" you addressed was explained in my discusion above:

What seems to be overlooked, is 1Eno 80, which states that "in the days of the sinners" (the time leading up to the flood of Noah's day[v8]) the set courses of the sun, moom, and stars were altered, which very well could have changed the year from being exactly 364 days long to 365.242199 days in length.
according to the gospels of Mathew, Mark, and Luke, Y'shua ate the passover meal on passover day (Mat 26:17-21f, Mar 14:12-18f, & Luk 22:7-15f), and was put to death the next day (Mat 27:1-50, Mar 15:1-37, & Luk 22:66-23:46). This would mean that, if He was in the tomb three days and three nights(which according to Mat 12:40, Mar 8:31, & Jn 2:19 He was), He must have raised on the first day of the week. (Thursday (day one), Thursday night (night one), Friday (day two), Friday night (night two), Saterday (day three), Saterday night (night three)).
It is worth noting also, that the gospels of Mathew, Mark, and Luke all record that the day after Y'shua was put to death was concidered the first day of unleavened bread (Mat 27:62, Mar 15:32, Luk 23:53, & Jn 19:31), which would place His crusifition on Passover day. So how did Y'shua eat the Passover meal on Passover day and be crusified the next day, AND be crusified on what was concidered Passover day? There was oviously TWO calendars in use at His time. On one, the one He followed, Passover fell on a Wednesday. On the other, the day He was crucified, it fell on a Thursday.

J. Jury said:
I disagree with the Qumran sect for keeping the 1st day of the year on the 4th day of the week, and here's why, look at the facts surrounding Yahshua's death and resurrection...

IF Yahshua was the Passover Lamb...
and IF His death coincided with the slaughtering of the Passover lamb on the 14th...
and IF His resurrection was on the 1st day (Saturday evening)...
THEN His resurrection would have been on the 1st day of the week, the 17th of the first month...
and THEN, counting backwards, His death would have been on the 5th day of the week, the 14th of the month...

and counting backwards again...

The calendar for the first day of the year should be placed on the 6th day of the week (Thursday night). This was the day that man was created, hence it is when time began being recorded. This is the conclusions that my research leads me to.

And I agree completely that an additional week is necessary every 5.6 years.
Yahshua was eating a pre-Passover meal. I forgot what the term was, and forgive me for sounding overwhelmingly ignorant, but it's a Jewish thing that a Jew during that time frame would have done. Though, it seems we agree on the timing of His death and resurrection.

Hence I say, that if the 17th of the month is the 1st day of the week, then the 1st day of the 1st month should always be the 6th day of the week (Thursday night), NOT the 4th day (Tuesday night) as the Qumran sect postulated.

jacob said:
according to the gospels of Mathew, Mark, and Luke, Y'shua ate the passover meal on passover day (Mat 26:17-21f, Mar 14:12-18f, & Luk 22:7-15f), and was put to death the next day (Mat 27:1-50, Mar 15:1-37, & Luk 22:66-23:46). This would mean that, if He was in the tomb three days and three nights(which according to Mat 12:40, Mar 8:31, & Jn 2:19 He was), He must have raised on the first day of the week. (Thursday (day one), Thursday night (night one), Friday (day two), Friday night (night two), Saterday (day three), Saterday night (night three)).
It is worth noting also, that the gospels of Mathew, Mark, and Luke all record that the day after Y'shua was put to death was concidered the first day of unleavened bread (Mat 27:62, Mar 15:32, Luk 23:53, & Jn 19:31), which would place His crusifition on Passover day. So how did Y'shua eat the Passover meal on Passover day and be crusified the next day, AND be crusified on what was concidered Passover day? There was oviously TWO calendars in use at His time. On one, the one He followed, Passover fell on a Wednesday. On the other, the day He was crucified, it fell on a Thursday.
Mr Trimm what do you believe about Jubilees, which also states a 364 day year?

James Trimm said:
The Astronomical Section is the only one that is unreliable, my book simply translates the best text of that section that we have. Appendix IV of my book addresses the Calendar problems.
Yeshua was eating the actual Passover... the text states this plainly several times.
So He was crucified AFTER passover?

James Trimm said:
Yeshua was eating the actual Passover... the text states this plainly several times.
According to Mat 26:17-21f, Mar 14:12-18f, & Luk 22:7-15f, Y'shua ate the Passover meal on the prescribed time to eat Passover, the evening immediately following the "slaughtering the Passover lamb" (Mar 14:12/Luk 22:7) and was put to death the next day, according to Mat 27:1-50, Mar 15:1-37, & Luk 22:66-23:46. So yes, He was crucified AFTER Passover according to the Gospel accounts.
There are a lot of variables here. There are several halachic debates about how passover is kept. Passover attaches directly to the seven days of Unleavened Bread from Nissan 15 to Nissan 21 Passover is on the 14th of Nissan, there is debate over whether the whole 14th is Passover or just the meal. The first and last days are Sabbaths, but there is debate over whether the 1st day is the 14th or 15th.

Yeshua ate the Passover in the evening and then was tried by night and crucified the next afternoon... all of this is on one calendar day on the Hebrew calendar. So the day he ate the meal is the same day he died... if he ate the meal on Passover, then he was also crucified on passover.

There are to many variables to get to adamant about many of these things. The Synpotics state plainly that the meal was a Passover meal and Yochanan states plainly that he was killed on the Passover.

That all fits since he was killed and ate the mean on the same calendar day according to the Hebrew calendar.

RSS

 

 

 


















 

LINKS

 

 

 

 

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by James Trimm.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service