Nazarene Space

What is the grammatical difference between the Hebrew word "kol" being spelled with a kamatz or a cholem?

What is the grammatical difference between the Hebrew word "kol" being spelled with a kamatz or a cholem?

Views: 353

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

for the purposes of modern spoken Hebrew, you just need five vowels sounds: a, e, i, o and u; pronounced pretty much like Spanish.

Read the vowels kamatz, patach, chatef-patach, and kamatz hey as ‘a’. (as in "army")

Read the vowels tsere, segol, chatef-segol, tsere yod, and segol yod as ‘e’. (as in "enter")

Read chireq and chireq yod as ‘i’. (as in "if")

Read cholem, chatef-kamatz, kamatz-chatuf, and cholem vav as ‘o’ (as in "over").

Read qibbutz and shureq as ‘u’. (as in "shoes")

http://fontwords.com/2011/05/27/hebrew-thursday-how-to-read-hebrew-...

Thank you for your response, but I don't think that is the answer my Hebrew teacher wants.

Shalom!

The difference is the pronounciation of the vocal.
Kamatz apparently is an "a", Cholem is an "o".

John said:

Thank you for your response, but I don't think that is the answer my Hebrew teacher wants.

Shalom!

I'm sorry, but it is spelled with a kamatz chatuf and not a kamatz.

To repeat my very first message:

Read cholem, chatef-kamatz, kamatz-chatuf, and cholem vav as ‘o’ (as in "over").

John said:

I'm sorry, but it is spelled with a kamatz chatuf and not a kamatz.

I already understand that they are all pronounced the same, but I do not think that is what my Hebrew teacher wants.

Thank you anyways!

Sounds like you already know the answer your Hebrew teacher wants, so why ask us.
You asked for the grammatical difference, I gave you the grammatical difference.
If you meant something symbolic or mystical, you should have specified that.

John said:

I already understand that they are all pronounced the same, but I do not think that is what my Hebrew teacher wants.

Thank you anyways!

I do not know the answer, but thanks for all your help.

I am sorry that I hurt your feelings.  Shalom!

If you do not know the answer, then why do you think "he" is looking for a different answer than the one I gave.
It's the only possible answer, as regards grammar - namely that there is no difference in pronounciation, based on available sources.

You don't have the power to hurt anything, though I can tell you are trying, despite your sarcastic "shaloms" and "thank yous"...

John said:

I do not know the answer, but thanks for all your help.

I am sorry that I hurt your feelings.  Shalom!

How old are you?

I have not been sarcastic at all.

I really meant to say THANK YOU for all your help, but if you don't want to accept my thanks then so be it.

I won't bother saying shalom to you since you don't want it either.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LINKS

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by James Trimm.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service