Nazarene Space

To slaughter or not to slaughter? (Pesach)

Is there any justfication in torah for the slaughtering of the Pesach lamb outside Jerusalem in the diaspora? What is the common ruling on this issue?

In other words, which command takes precedence:

Exo_12:14 (ISR)  ‘And this day shall become to you a remembrance. And you shall observe it as a festival to YHWH THROUGHOUT YOUR GENERATIONS – observe it as a festival, an everlasting law.

must slaughter throughout our generations, BUT...

Deu 16:5 “You are not allowed to slaughter the Passover within any of your gates which YHWH your Elohim gives you,
Deu 16:6 but at the place where YHWH your Elohim chooses to make His Name dwell, there you slaughter the Passover in the evening, at the going down of the sun, at the appointed time you came out of Mitsrayim

Please share your thoughts, thanks!

Views: 797

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hi Grant,

nice question. let me anwer the query from the practical point.

"where torah provisions are at variance from each other all of them are to be followed"

two commandments, one positive one negative. it is written:

1. "not in your gates but in the place I choose to put my Name"

2."to observe throughout your generations" (and this implies a condition with or without the temple).

the negative commandment has two elements; it says לא תוכל לזבח את הפסח באחד שעריך not on any of your gates; and the other element says כי אמ אל המקום לשכן שמו but in the place I choose to put My Name. the first element is an injunction NOT to perform the offering within thy gates, this is a general prohibition in favor to a specific place in the second element which is rather a place that Hashem has the sole prerogative of "choice". second element says ki im elhamaqum leshaken Sheymu but in the place where I put My Name. now there were three (3) known "places" where The Holy One put his Name: the ark of covenant and the temple, other than these places appointment can only come from the presence of a prophet. in the wilderness it was by means of the prophet Moshe, in his presence in the midst of the assembly that took validity of the "place"; in times of Yehoshua, judges and kings it was the ark of covenant that bore His Name; in the times of the first and second temples it was both the ark and the temple that bore His Name (Shekinnah.) the blood sacrifice can only be performed within these above described conditions.

the positive commandment (#2) is a general law, this applies unto all generations, anywhere, all the time, with or without the blood. as it is written:

"For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD. And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt. And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the LORD throughout your generations; ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever. Seven days shall ye eat unleavened bread; even the first day ye shall put away leaven out of your houses: for whosoever eateth leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel. And in the first day there shall be an holy convocation, and in the seventh day there shall be an holy convocation to you; no manner of work shall be done in them, save that which every man must eat, that only may be done of you. And ye shall observe the feast of unleavened bread; for in this selfsame day have I brought your armies out of the land of Egypt: therefore shall ye observe this day in your generations by an ordinance for ever. In the first, on the fourteenth day of the month at even, ye shall eat unleavened bread, until the one and twentieth day of the month at even." (Exodus 12:12-18) [note that the memorial begins in 14th].

therefore the leaven observance is intended to take a valid memorial of the paschal event aside from the lamb when divine injunctions forbid the sheding of blood. (from this legal point i know the messianics and nazarenes can carry out a more beautiful dirash concerning sacrificial lamb of the passover festival.)

in the absence of the Ark, the Temple and a prophet, today, you know already how to keep the passover as described above.

hope this helps.

Thank you for the informative response Beryl,

I hadn't seen Ex 12 in that light, as only referring to ONLY unleavened bread where the eternal ordinance is concerned.

So as I understand your view: The Pesach lamb would NOT be slaughtered at this point in time, while unleavened bread would STILL be kept, correct?

yes brother.

may you have a good feast.

Grant said:

Thank you for the informative response Beryl,

I hadn't seen Ex 12 in that light, as only referring to ONLY unleavened bread where the eternal ordinance is concerned.

So as I understand your view: The Pesach lamb would NOT be slaughtered at this point in time, while unleavened bread would STILL be kept, correct?

Jubilees explicitly says only at the altar of the priests can the lamb be sacrificed

which lamb bro? the pesach lamb? i have not given serious attention when i read the book of jubilees, i didn't get that point from there. how does the book says about that?

btw, chag sameach!

Onieu bahn Duid said:

Jubilees explicitly says only at the altar of the priests can the lamb be sacrificed

There are any  messianic  or nazarine blessings when cutting and animal such as a lamb or birds such as quails ?

andrew,

ah okay thanks a lot brother. yea i see what you mean.

has that quote not all the more manifest clearly that the authorship of this book is more of sadducean leaning than pharisaic? well, it is none of our business eh? he he he.

may you have a good feast!

health and peace,

beryl

Its impossible to include a Sadducean leaning, though i'm aware scholar charles tried to argue that.  it is infinitely much more likely that either the book is authentic or an Essene leaning jew wrote it.

Oddly enough, I tend to agree, based upon Deut 16.

Onieu bahn Duid said:

bro, two agreements in less than a month.  we are on a roll lol

good to know you are taking notes bro.

j.jury has no prob agreeing on agreeable matters.

but you...

didn't i say that in every ten points Andrew disagrees in nine?

ha ha ha .

chag someach matzoth!

Onieu bahn Duid said:

bro, two agreements in less than a month.  we are on a roll lol

that is a conservative estimate Beryl =)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LINKS

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by James Trimm.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service