Nazarene Space

a job that doesn't make you work on shabbat

shalom,

i'm having an extreme amount of difficulties finding a job that doesn't make you work on shabbat..

i live in Belgium (europe) and the situation is like this;

* all office or high placed jobs (which mostly don't make people work on saturday or late fridays) are out of my reach because i don't have a college/university diploma to get started

* if you don't have a diploma the jobs that don't requiere you to work on shabbat either want you to have A) experience, B) a driver's license or C) being able to work with a reach truck

guess what.. i don't have any of the above!!

* all that's left is working in stores, bars or plants... and guess what!!! all stores and pubs demand you work on saturday's (and mostly also fridaynights) and nowadays working in a "day regime" (which made sure you finished very early on friday's and never worked saturday's) in a plant has become almost extinct and all that's left now is working "2,3,5- or night-shift regimes" and all of those regimes make sure you work on Shabbat since you are demanded to work on friday night and sometimes even whole weekends...

so in a nutshell... i have no way whatsoever to get a job that doesn't requiere me to work on Shabbat.. i could go back to school but my parents are not giving in so school is also NOT an option.. and my parents are starting to get really really upset and think i'm being lazy and stubborn.. a practicing Nazarene family is willing to take me in so i could live with them, but will i not have the same problem with them ?? will i then become a pest to them, i don't want to do that....

i just don't know anymore.... PLEASE HELP ME :-(

Views: 290

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is there a large enough observant Jewish community that you might find work there?

At a kosher deli restaurant or baker, Jewish owned store, JCC, caretaker at a shul....or whatever?

How about starting your own business?

Try becoming a teacher or substitute teacher ?
Many schools, mostly private schools, tend to welcome individuals who are able to teach on at least one subject to come and talk on that, as a test run for whether they could become a teacher or sub.
Problem with that is that he said he doesn't have a degree.

Christian said:
Try becoming a teacher or substitute teacher ?
Many schools, mostly private schools, tend to welcome individuals who are able to teach on at least one subject to come and talk on that, as a test run for whether they could become a teacher or sub.
If he can talk on f.ex the subject of Judaism in front of a small class, he could prove a pedagogical ability, and on that basis be offered a substitute teacher job; who knows where you go from there.

well, no matter what you do, you must NOT work on Shabbat.  It is better to die than to break the Sabbath.  But, you could just be homeless, you don't have to go as far as death.  

If you patiently seek something, and are obedient to Yahuwah, you will find it.

Hey, a job's a job. If you're required to work the Sabbath at first, I honestly would do it- then try to get a different shift as soon as you could. Unfortunately, in the land of dispersion, that's sort of just how it works. I am a retail manager; I started my job working overnights, and Friday night was certainly no exception. Then I got into a shift rotation where I would no longer have to work Friday nights, and now I took a different position within the company that only requires one weekend day. I had to take a bit of a pay decrease to get here, but it's worth it.

You may also be able to job share with a Christian who does not want to work on Sundays...

you do Sunday, they do Saturday.

That's exactly what I do. :-)

I manage one department, but a Baptist pastor I know manages another department, and we cover each others' days off.

Rachel Stern said:

You may also be able to job share with a Christian who does not want to work on Sundays...

you do Sunday, they do Saturday.

i'm kind of surprised by the way you took shabbat so lightly in the beginning of your job... you do know that Kareit is the punishment for breaking Shabbat do you ??

J. Jury said:
Hey, a job's a job. If you're required to work the Sabbath at first, I honestly would do it- then try to get a different shift as soon as you could. Unfortunately, in the land of dispersion, that's sort of just how it works. I am a retail manager; I started my job working overnights, and Friday night was certainly no exception. Then I got into a shift rotation where I would no longer have to work Friday nights, and now I took a different position within the company that only requires one weekend day. I had to take a bit of a pay decrease to get here, but it's worth it.

thanks for all your advice but the best ideas are to start my own low cost business (for which i already have an idea but no space.. too bad) or to go back to school.

i have a job interview this friday, pray that i get in because when i told them i don't work on saturday they weren't upset or anything so maybe that's a good sign..

i can speak from experience that its not impossible to find a job that respects your religious beliefs.  i found one that does not require me to work weekends, allows me to talk time off on the sacred moedim, and allows me to wear my tefillin at work.  i trust you will find one if you could searching.

The Scriptures teach that he who does not provide for his family is worse than an unbeliever. I believe that in the land of captivity, you just have to do what it takes to get by. Modern society is constructed totally against Sabbath keeping, so keeping Sabbath in today's secular (pagan) culture takes a direct effort, whereas in the land of YHWH's established kingdom it is meant to be routine, an integral part of life.

I did not take it lightly at all. In fact, I took a significant pay decrease so that I could have a position that permitted me to have Sabbath off.

Yishmael said:

i'm kind of surprised by the way you took shabbat so lightly in the beginning of your job... you do know that Kareit is the punishment for breaking Shabbat do you ??

J. Jury said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LINKS

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by James Trimm.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service